Healthy Weight Gain Strategies
If you are wondering how to gain weight the healthy way and gain lean mass, it is necessary to consume more calories than you expend while participating in an appropriate exercise program. Increasing your portions and intake of high-calorie foods can be an appropriate strategy for weight gain. If you struggle with the question of what to eat to gain weight, here is a list with a few ideas to consider when putting on weight.
1. Eat a hearty breakfast
Try including high-calorie
foods such as granola, nuts, nut butters, seeds, dried
fruit, Greek yogurt, eggs, avocado, smoothies or
2. Eat balanced meals every 3-5 hours with sources of:
- Protein - dairy, eggs, meat, chicken, fish, soy
- Carbohydrates - rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, oats,
cereals, fruit or fruit juices
- Fats - nuts or nut butters, avocado, olives, oils,
butter, full-fat dairy, salad dressings
3. Avoid running on empty!
Fuel your tank and eat a
meal or snack every 3-5 hours.
4. Pump up the portions at each meal!
portions at each meal and snack. If you usually have
1 cup of cereal, try having 1.5-2 cups or a larger glass
5. Plan ahead and carry nutrient-dense snacks,
Trail mix with dried fruit and nuts, peanut butter
and jelly sandwich, banana, granola bar, beef jerky,
milk or a meal replacement shake are good alternatives.
6. Drink high-calorie beverages
smoothies or juices help increase calorie intake
without having to consume larger volumes of food.
7. Include a bedtime snack
Make sure it is rich in protein,
such as Greek yogurt with fruit, string cheese with
crackers, a milk-based smoothie or a bowl of cereal
8. Add high-calorie foods to meals and snacks
Smoothie made with milk + 1-2 tablespoons of
almond or peanut butter + banana and frozen
- Oatmeal + milk + dried fruit and nuts
- Salad + cheese, avocado, seeds/nuts and
- Baked potato + cheese and broccoli
- Cooked vegetables + olive oil and sliced almonds
9. Add another serving!
If you are hungry for second
helpings, add another serving of grain or starch rather