Parents, coaches, healthcare providers and sports enthusiasts joined a panel of experts affiliated with Memorial Hermann on November 14, 2012 to get their questions about concussion answered. Rachel McNeill, NBC Houston affiliate anchor and healthcare reporter, moderated the live interactive web chat.
Watch the archived video chat above by pressing "play" on the YouTube video, or click on the chat window to see the questions that were asked.
is an anchor and health reporter for KPRC Local 2 News, the Houston NBC affiliate.You can see Rachel on KPRC Local 2 News at 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Follow her on Twitter and on Facebook.
Summer Ott, Psy.D.
- Neuropsychologist and assistant professor at UTHealth and director of the Concussion Program at the IRONMAN Sports Medicine Institute at Memorial Hermann. Team neuropsychologist for the Houston Dynamo, Houston Aeros and the Houston Texans. Read more »
James Bubba Wilson, Athletic Trainer, Bay Area Christian School, Clear Lake.
Alysia Robichau, M.D.
– Primary care & sports medicine physician in The Woodlands and team physician for College Park High School. Dr. Robichau also provides concussion management for Conroe ISD student athletes.
- What to do if you suspect someone has suffered a concussion
- How a concussion can impact a student’s ability to perform in the classroom
- How to know when the student athlete is ready to return to play
- How ImPACT™ (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment Cognitive Test) is being used by area school districts and physicians to scientifically test cognitive ability – before and following head injuries.
Additional Questions and Answers
Below are answers to questions that our experts did not have time to respond to during the one-hour video chat.
Bubba, We have two club soccer girls diagnosed with concussions this week. There UIL season has not started yet. Do we have to treat them and supply the same paperwork as if it had happened in a UIL event with our school?
Yes. If they are a UIL athlete, in season or not, they must follow the concussion guidelines.
My son was the 7th from our district Channelview to have a concussion this year. We have a new stadium and went to a turf field is there a link to the type of field.
No. The new turf is more like grass than ever before. If we were talking the original old astro-turf that is like playing on a parking lot, those blows are harder.
Why not have soccer helmets?
No headgear will prevent a concussion.